LL.B GAICD CISSP
Seamus Byrne is a Consulting CIO and specialises in rapidly transforming and successfully growing online/eCommerce businesses.
Seamus typically works with management teams and boards to understand and then execute the right technology strategy for their business.
Contact Seamus today to learn how he can help your business.
Seamus has extensive experience in supporting businesses to identify, manage and exploit the valuable information assets that underpin their success.
He was appointed as Group CIO for the Catch Group (including CatchOfTheDay.com.au and Scoopon.com.au) shortly after the Group received an $80M investment in mid-2011 from an investment consortium led by Tiger Global Management, James Packer’s Consolidated Press Holdings and Andrew Bassett, co-founder and CEO of SEEK. During his time as CIO, the Group, as Australia’s leading online retailer, launched four new businesses, tripled annual sales to $350M+ and grew from 1.5M to 2.5M+ unique customers.
Seamus has recently been engaged by businesses including SEEK (Media), RSL Lotteries (Gaming), Canningvale (Retail), Observant (Agribusiness) and Tablo (Publishing), Facilimate (Hotel Management), L Capital Asia: LVMH Portfolio Companies, including 2XU (Retail) & Seafolly (Retail), My Pet Warehouse (Retail), CashRewards (Digital Marketing, 2016 Deloitte Tech Fast 50 Winner) and BrandBank Group of Companies, including Seed Heritage, French Connection and Nine West.
Seamus was named in the 2016 Top 50 People in E-Commerce with judges’ comments: “With a strong technical and analytical drive, Seamus Byrne specialises in rapid growth and transformation of online businesses. His most recent work with 2XU has streamlined internal processes and created a strong digital commerce offering that readily competes with global industry players. Byrne is an intelligent strategic thinker who works to optimise and enhance every business he works with.”
Seamus has advised and successfully managed the discovery of electronic evidence for several high-profile, complex and ‘bet the company’ litigation matters across Australia, Singapore and the United States, representing a number of S&P/ASX 200 and blue-chip international clients.
He has also provided computer forensic and e-discovery expert opinion and testimony in matters to a Federal Court level in Australia and High Court level in Singapore and South Africa. A sample of recent cases in which Seamus’ expert witness opinion or testimony was presented to the Courts appears below.
- Menkens & Anor v Wintour & Anor  QSC 7
- Metropolitan Health Corporate (Pty) Ltd v Neil Harvey and Associates (Pty) Ltd & Anor  ZAWCHC 358
- Sand Excavation v Nahas Constructions  NSWSC 184
- Tjiong & Anor v Tjiong  NSWSC 578
- Crédit Industriel et Commercial v Teo  3 SLR 1149
Seamus was also the founder of EasyDataMaps (now known as Iron Mountain Information Maps, award-winning web-based data mapping software for information governance and e-discovery, that was acquired by Iron Mountain (NYSE:IRM) in May 2015.
- Australian Lawyer admitted to the Supreme Court of New South Wales and High Court of Australia
- Graduate Member of the Australian Institute of Company Directors (GAICD)
- Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP)
- Certified Computer Examiner (CCE)
Seamus has delivered over 70 lectures, CPD/CLE and public speaking engagements on eCommerce, electronic evidence, computer crime, computer forensics, electronic discovery and internet marketing in Australia, the United States, Singapore, Hong Kong and Malaysia.
Forums include the Bar Association of Queensland, Bond University, College of Law, Computer and Enterprise Investigations Conference, Georgetown University Advanced E-Discovery Institute, Institute for Information Management, International Association of Auto Theft Investigators, Law Institute of Victoria, LexisNexis E-Discovery and Digital Forensics Conference Series, National Archives of Australia, Online Retailer Conference, Queensland Law Society and the Society for Computers and the Law. A sample of Seamus’ recent presentations appears below.
- Demandware/Salesforce Commerce Cloud Retail Innovation Event – 5 Practical Tips for Successful Retail Innovation, 23 September 2016.
- U.S. Department of Energy’s 34th Information Management Conference – Data Maps for Information Insight, 18 July 2015.
- Bond University – eCommerce Payments and Tax Law, 26 February 2014.
- Online Retailer Conference Keynote – Mobile Commerce and the Catch Group, 16 July 2012.
- National Archives of Australia – E-Discovery and the Law – What is the Record?, 31 May 2011.
- Bond University – Introduction to Computer Forensics, 29 March 2011.
- HP TRIM User Forum 24 Workshop – Understanding E-Discovery and FOI for Australian Information Professionals, 8-9 March 2011.
- Founded and maintained ‘In Pursuit of Relevance’, the Asia-Pacific’s leading e-litigation blog from 2008 until divestment in 2013. Described by the Law Institute of Victoria as “…a fantastic source of information on this area“.
- Australian Chapter of Electronic Evidence (2nd Edition), LexisNexis Butterworths, 2010.
- Electronic Litigation – Principles and Practice, LexisNexis Australia Federal Civil Litigation Precedents, 2009.
- Information Management and Compliance in Australia Factsheet, Ingram Micro and Symantec, 2009.
- Multiple articles on electronic evidence, computer forensics and electronic discovery in Australia and Singapore. Publications include the Australian Corporate Lawyer (Australian Corporate Lawyers Association), Image & Data Manager, Law Gazette (Law Society of Singapore), Hearsay (Bar Association of Queensland), Proctor (Queensland Law Society) and Lawyers Weekly.
- Referenced in ALRC Report 115, Discovery of Documents in Federal Courts, 2011.
- Referenced in ALRC Report 107, Client Legal Privilege in Federal Investigations, 2007.
- Research Assistant to Professors Forder and Svantesson for Internet and E-Commerce Law, Oxford University Press, 2007.
- Data retention a boon for private investigators, The Sydney Morning Herald, 4 November 2014.
- Learning from the Click Frenzy fiasco, Technology Spectator, 21 November 2012.
- Click Frenzy a mega tech fail: the online bonanza that became nothing of the sort, The Sydney Morning Herald, 21 November 2012.
- CatchOfTheDay lets its customers lead technology changes, CIO Magazine, 20 April 2012.
- CatchOfTheDay launches App, A Current Affair, Nine Network, 12 April 2012.
- ‘Every touch leaves a trace’: how Google helped track bomb hoax suspect, The Sydney Morning Herald, 17 August 2011.
- End of paper chase: Federal Court unveils e-discovery rules, Australian IT, The Australian, 3 March 2009.
- Facebook features as long arm of the law, The World Today, ABC Radio, 16 December 2008.
- Australia OKs Facebook for serving lien notice, The Associated Press, 16 December 2008.
- Court finalises e-discovery rules, Australian IT, The Australian, 16 October 2007.
- Bachelor of Laws (LL.B), Bond University (2005)
- Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice, College of Law (2006)
- Company Directors Course, AICD (2013)
- Legal Practice Management Course, College of Law (2014)
- Advanced Project Management Certificate Program, Stanford University (2016)
- Certificate III in Investigative Services
- Certificate IV in Government (Investigation)
- Certificate IV in Government (Fraud Control)
Seamus was accepted into Bond University’s University Entrance Program (now Bond College) and completed an accelerated Year 12 equivalent program in three months after leaving high school in Year 11.
While in law school, Seamus was awarded a scholarship and won numerous first-in-class awards including the prestigious Allens Arthur Robinson (now Allens Linklaters) annual prize for Information Technology and the Law.
He taught various internet and technology related courses during his undergraduate program and continues to guest lecture at both an undergraduate and postgraduate level.
Recently completed professional development includes Searching and Reporting with Splunk, RMIT University’s iPhone and iPad App Development Short Course, Google’s Making Sense of Data Course and NGINX Fundamentals.